In many modern compositions, composers like to incorporate elements from modal music, and to my ears at least, it often sounds very surprising/refreshing. As far as I know (and I may be wrong ;) ),…Continue
Welcome on my profile page!
I'm an engineer with a passion for software and music. I like to write music (both traditional and experimental things) and I play some piano. I get my inspiration from different things, but poetry is an all-time favorite. Feel free to visit one of my music related web pages:
* music blog a touch of music
* my soundcloud profile mostly overlaps with my youtube page, but contains some extras
Here's some music related software I use:
* lilypond, a free music engraving tool delivering outstanding quality
* music21, the free toolkit for computer-aided musicology (from MIT)
* supercollider, a free real-time environment for algorithmic composition and sound synthesis
* ardour 3, a free digital audio workstation
And finally, here's an example of music I've written (and I'm happy with) based on the poem "Twilight" by Samuel Menashe:
After starting a discussion on cadences in modal music on VirtualArtists.com, the subject at some point turned into a discussion of elements of the musical language of Olivier Messiaen (notably his "modes of limited transposition").
After listening to and reading a bit about Messiaen's musical language I was intrigued enough to try and find out why and how his modes work so well with us, the listeners. I wanted to see if there are some things about his modes that are not present in…Continue