I decided to put some music to Xin Li's Film "The Umbrella." It was my favorite from the competition because it has a delicate somber quality, which I tried to match in the music.

http://youtu.be/sLW1gavYf5k

Views: 139

Replies to This Discussion

Ken, I really like your new score.  It fits the film perfectly, and is very subtle and delicate.  I was sad, though, that the "granddaughter" music wasn't as joyful as the "daughter" music.  I felt like our venerable grandfather had come full circle at the end of the film and found the same sense of joy he had as a young man with a little daughter.  I do like your bittersweet take on it, though. 

Harmonia, it is natural for you to feel sad, for memory plays are always bittersweet. And this must be reflected in the music. Formally speaking though, the listener would be deprived of a certain symmetry if the main theme was not restated.

I wonder if the film maker was aware of the depth and possibilities that this miniature gem presents, on the subject of happiness and sadness and where the two meet up. Maybe he will answer here ...

For the group, here is a good example of a memory play from a cat's point of view - music by Jean Sibelius, Valse Triste, and animation by Bruno Bozzetto. The video was "scored" to the music. (Bring Kleenex)

http://youtu.be/rKBZVGfj7uY

Ken, this video was removed by the user before I could watch it.  Hope you can find it elsewhere, because it really sounds intriguing!

KenNickels said:

For the group, here is a good example of a memory play from a cat's point of view - music by Jean Sibelius, Valse Triste, and animation by Bruno Bozzetto. The video was "scored" to the music. (Bring Kleenex)

Harmonia said:

Ken, this video was removed by the user before I could watch it.  Hope you can find it elsewhere, because it really sounds intriguing!

KenNickels said:

Harmonia, I was the "user" that deleted the video because I had posted it in the first place. Universal complained of copyright infringement even though youtube described the offense as against Herbert von Karajan's RECORDING of Valse Triste, which is copyrighted, but does not extend to the composition itself. This was my position when challenged by youtube. Universal held to their original position and I thought best to back off to protect my youtube account.

Allegro non troppo should be available through your library, and I encourage everyone to experience the genious of Bruno Bozzetto.

What software do i need to download a video, strip it of the music, then add my music to it?

Thank you

Mayen, there are copyright issues involved with downloading and sharing other people's work. I would ask Harmonia about these methods. Or, you could send me a personal message for my suggestions, which may or may not be legal). I realize how necessary it is for composers to learn how to put music to film while walking a fine line with copyright infringement.

Any Digital Audio Workstation will allow you to strip the audio and replace it with your own (I assume). I don't know any cheap ones. I use Digital Performer $500. All of the professional apps are in this price range. Good Luck!

Ok yes Sir - I only use videos in the public domain, for now - to comply w/ copyright laws :)

Thanks for you help and insight :)

~mayen

Hello Mayen and Ken -

Remember there are no copyright issues with the short films in the VirtualArtists Film Bank.  Although these films are not in the public domain, I have worked personally with each of the film makers to get permission for our members to re-score these films.  Please see Short Films for Film Scoring for the details on how these films can be used.

My students and I have re-scored many films using all free software, Ken.  You've seen the results from my students - some of them won the Remix 2014 Competition last year!   The software necessary depends on your computer, your operating system, your browser and other local considerations, so there is not a one size that fits all.  But we've used all free software, combined with Finale's built-in movie feature.  We use Finale for all our composing, so it wasn't purchased especially for films.  There is a list of free software on this page of our Film group: Software List

The film list will grow as I work with other film makers - there are many wonderful films there to choose from, including "The Umbrella", which Ken rightfully described as a gem.  It's one of my favorites!

WOW, BLESS YOU FOR THIS INFORMATION!!!

i will check out the lists now!! :) :) :)

Mayen, if it helps, short snippits of film can be considered fair use, and if you wanted just the video but not audio you could use a program called Total Recorder which can take audio or video right right off your monitor.

Hello Ken-

The wonderful re-scoring you did of "The Umbrella" has disappeared from YouTube.  Clicking on your link gives a message saying the video is no longer available.  Folks are still interested in your work - can you post again perhaps?

VirtualArtists Support

RSS

© 2017   Created by VirtualArtists.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service