What are you listening to today,
and what drew you to that particular piece, performer, or genre?

Views: 1675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh not much. A LOT of spanish and mexican music.

Somei Satoh: Violin Concerto.  Lovely

Here's a favorite of mine from Somei Satoh's "Toward the Night" Cd. Piece: "Homa"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KM2Q6Y...

Thanks B_Graytful for posting Satoh's Violin concerto. I really enjoy his music. Thus I rushed to post a link to another piece of his that I really like.

Lovely music, both of these pieces.  Thank you B and Robert for introducing such a great composer.  I had not heard his music before.  Can you tell us a bit about Satoh?

Yes, I like the Toward the Night as well.  Almost posted that instead of the Violin Concerto.

Here is what the wiki on him says which is all I know.  I stumbled upon his music on youtube by accident.  A very nice accident.

Somei Satoh (Satō Sōmei, 佐藤 聰明; b. Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan, January 19, 1947) is a Japanese composer.

In the second half of the 20th century and into the 21st century, Somei Satoh is a Japanese composer of contemporary traditional music (gendai hogaku).

He studied at Nihon University of Art in the early 1970s[1] and is essentially an autodidact in composition.

He wrote his violin concerto for Anne Akiko Meyers.

He lives in Tokyo.

Brilliant idea and execution: The CATcerto by 

Mindaugas Piecaitis, Nora The Piano Cat

Tonight I'm listening to Christopher Rouse's Eligia - the third movement of his Flute Concerto.  Sooner or later all roads lead me back to this dark and wondrous piece that I first heard about 13 years ago.   Here's today's journey:  One of my students and I were discussing music as a way to effect social change.  We started with the rap song he wrote for biology class about humans destroying the environment.   Then we listened to Simon & Garfunkel's Scarborough Fair/Canticle with its double meanings and a brilliant but subtle discourse on the impossibility of war.  That led to Paul Simon's Graceland album, which led me directly to the Christopher Rouse Eligia.  Only Sherlock Holmes could follow all these connections! 

This movement is one of the most eloquent outpourings of grief and a gentle but profound protest against violence.  Even if you don't know anything about the background of the piece, it speaks in a language that needs no words. The Elegia begins around 9:12 in this performance:

Here's another performance - the Elegia starts around 9:32 in this one and the sound quality is better.

I just recently entered a choir competition, and never having written in that idiom before I did some research and came across Eric Whitacre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQBNDnrS8HY

One of Eric Whitacre's better known choral pieces is "Sleep". Check it out.

Yes, absolutely beautiful.

Last Christmas I heard this on the radio as I was driving in my car. I had to pull over and listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kAdRKMtdgw

Robert Hunter said:

One of Eric Whitacre's better known choral pieces is "Sleep". Check it out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by VirtualArtists.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service