I am particularly fond of wedding music and have composed for several friends and family members. It seems to me there is a particular challenge in writing this type of music. You have to write a slow march for the processional, and then a companion recessional which is joyous and which ties in thematically to the processional. Here is the march I wrote for a friend of mine, Rick, who was married over 20 years ago and is still together with his beloved. If there is interest, I will post the recessional -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm8jHnD_QfY

Views: 68

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for this posting, Gav.  Please do post the recessional when you have time - many composers would be interested in hearing the pair of pieces.  Do you have any suggestions for composers writing wedding music? 

Sure, I can share a couple of thoughts about composing this type of music: 1) The march has to be incredibly slow, slower than one normally thinks of a march being, because the bride walks very slowly up to the marriage spot. Too fast, and the pace of the music will seem rushed compared to the bride's pace; 2) You can't easily time the march to the bride's pace, so you have to be prepared to end the piece as soon as the bride gets to the marriage spot. As the bride takes her final few steps, no matter where you are in the music, slow it down even further and try to put in a final cadence as the bride stops. The piece should end quietly, in accordance with the solemnity of the occasion; 3) This is just my style, and I'm sure it could be done other ways, but I like for the recessional to begin where the march ends. Not exactly like two parts of the same song, but there should be a very strong thematic continuity; 4) The recessional needs to be fairly long. As it begins, the bride and groom are stepping off the marriage spot, into the room where guests are, and everyone starts milling about. You need to cover this initial milling about for at least a minute, so that you don't give short shrift to the occasion. Here's the recessional -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff-vG07fd18

VirtualArtists said:

Thanks for this posting, Gav.  Please do post the recessional when you have time - many composers would be interested in hearing the pair of pieces.  Do you have any suggestions for composers writing wedding music? 

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by VirtualArtists.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service